Explosion protections for operators / workers
For Europe the Directive 1999/92/EC (also known as ATEX 118a and later ATEX 137) includes minimum requirements for improving the health and safety of workers potentially at risk from explosive atmospheres.
The transposition of this guideline into national law was carried out in national rules / directives.
ATEX / IECEx System standards for equipment used in potentially hazardous environments include the following:
- IEC 60079-10-1: Gas Zone Classification
- IEC 60079-10-2: Dust Zone Classification
- IEC 60079-14: Electrical installations design, selection and erection
- IEC 60079-17: Electrical installations inspection and maintenance
- IEC 60079-19: Equipment repair, overhaul and reclamation
These standards specify that the equipment shall be installed, designed, specified, operated and maintained by Ex-competent personnel. While this Ex competency requirement may not always be legally mandatory, it does provide reassurance that the person installing or otherwise working with the equipment has demonstrated their ability to work in a potentially hazardous environment.
- Hazardous analysis
- Explosion protection document (EPD)
- Integrated explosion protection concept (measures)
- Evaluate / determine safety characteristics
- Zone definition (EN 60079-10-1/2)
- Ignition Sources (EN 1127-1)
- Test plans & maintenance concepts
- Implement test intervals in practice
- Functional safety
- Electrostatical discharge
- Intrinsically safe systems acc. IEC/EN 60079-25
Topics around Ex installations
Legal system for Ex Installations and competence
Example: What does the national german "BetrSichV" regulate?
- a risk assessment has been carried out.
- Protective measures have been taken.
- Tests are conducted and documented and
- it is stated that the use is safe
Work equipment includes:
- Installations: A system is a set of spatially and functionally related machines or devices which also form a unit in terms of tax technology and safety, which interact with each other
- Work equipment: Work equipment is tools, equipment, machinery or equipment. They range from simple hand tools such. As hammer, screwdriver, electrical appliances or machinery, such as. As lathes, to systems, such. B. process or manufacturing equipment
Example: What regulates the GefStV in Germany?
- Regulations for the classification, labeling and packaging of dangerous substances and preparations,
- Measures to protect workers and other persons involved in activities involving hazardous substances; and
- Restrictions on the manufacture and use of certain dangerous substances, preparations and articles
- all dangerous substances and preparations which have harmful properties or are explosive
- regarding measures for activities involving hazardous substances that can lead to fire and explosion hazards
Periodic inspections for Ex installations in Germany
- max. annually: e.g. Gas detectors, ventilation systems, intertisation systems
- max. every 3 years: all other equipment acc. ATEX 2014/34/EU
- max. every 6 years: order check (ex-protection document, zones, examinations, etc.)
If the operator presents a suitable maintenance concept(during the order check), the mentioned inspection intervals can become obsolete.
Tests after repair / recommissioning for modifications subject to mandatory inspection remain unaffected.
What is a "competent person" in general?
IEC/EN 60079-14 specifies in some detail the requirements for people involved in the, application design, selection and installation of equipment or plant used in hazardous (potentially explosive) atmospheres. The IEC 60079-14 and IEC 60079-17 standards identifies the various roles that require training and the level of training required:
- Responsible Persons, Operatives, Electrical Designers (design and selection), e.g.
Ex- Authority (Operator)
This role or position is not regulated by law. The ex-authority does not necessarily have to be the “competent person” acc. IEC 60079-ff This role can be understood more as a manager of the explosion protection system. Also important is the written appointment with clear written regulation of powers, duties and responsibilities. The so-called “ex- authority” are also on the manufacturer side, even if the tasks are quite different.
Get in contact!
I am very happy to be at your disposal and I look forward to hearing from you.